Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
For our overseas programme we are looking for Christian books in good condition regardless of age. Particularly sought after are:
- Books on theology, doctrine, Bible commentaries, Bible encyclopedias and dictionaries, that would be useful to students in theological colleges.
- Christian biographies, books on prayer, discipleship and all aspects of Christian living.
- Books on biblical languages, including lexicons and grammars.
- Bibles of any version [except New English Bible (NEB)] in particular the King James Version.
- Methodist Hymnbooks
- Ladybird Books - both religious and secular
- Theological Journals - see here for details
- Books in English
Unfortunately we do not collect:
- Secular books (i.e. Non-Christian)
- School text books (including RE books)
- Dated reading notes / Used Sunday School material
- Hymn books
- Non-book items e.g. CD's, videos, cassette tapes
- Any material not in English
The vast majority of places that we work with are or once formed part of the British Commonwealth. Therefore English is one of their major languages.
We have a network of almost 150 collecting points right across the UK. These people are the backbone of our ministry. Book Aid Collectors receive book and Bibles on our behalf. The books then go to one our warehouses. Use the 'Collection Points' link at the left of the page to see where your nearest collection point is. If in doubt, contact our London office.
The majority of our 'collectors' are individuals operating from their homes in their spare time. Others are based in bookshops and churches and are not always available to leave their place of work. We leave the decision entirely at the discretion of the collector concerned. We do not ask them to come and pick up and never promise donors that they will. It is always best to talk with the local collector and see if you can come to a mutually agreeable arrangement.
Your book donations can be left at all of our bookshops, please note our book requirements as listed above.
Since 1987 330 20ft containers have been sent to bookshops in nineteen different nations:
- Papua New Guinea
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
We have also sent other smaller shipments to overseas Bible College libraries and to other countries from time to time.